Have you ever ever tried making your personal rooster gumbo? It might appear a little bit intimidating due to the combo of components and wish for a thickener to provide it that conventional gumbo style and texture, however making gumbo is definitely very easy, particularly when it’s a sluggish cooker recipe.
For my rooster gumbo, I exploit some conventional gumbo components, like okra and a roux (besides mine is constructed from avocado oil and cassava flour). I additionally use rooster andouille sausage, rooster breast, rooster bone broth and a mixture of veggies and spices.
What you’re left with is a gluten-free, Paleo-friendly meal that’s filling and scrumptious. And one of the best half is that it takes little or no effort — simply prep your components and throw them in a sluggish cooker!
What Is Gumbo?
Gumbo is a sort of stew that originated in Louisiana in the course of the 18th century. The dish combines components from many cultures and culinary practices. Actually, you may add nearly any greens, meat, inventory and spices to a thickener and make your personal gumbo. However historically, gumbo was primarily based on West African dishes.
Do you know that the title “gumbo” is alleged to derive from a West African title for okra? This implies that within the unique gumbo recipes, okra was used as a staple ingredient that served because the thickening agent.
Gumbo can also be historically made with a roux, which originated in French delicacies. The roux serves as the bottom and offers gumbo its distinctive nutty taste and scent. The longer you prepare dinner your roux, the darker and extra flavorful it would grow to be.
One serving of rooster gumbo made utilizing this recipe comprises roughly the next:
- 345 energy
- 20.6 grams protein
- 20.3 grams fats
- 21.2 grams carbohydrates
- 3.2 grams fiber
- 5.2 grams sugar
- 48.9 milligrams vitamin C (65 % DV*)
- 0.8 milligrams vitamin B6 (62 % DV*)
- 7.8 milligrams vitamin B3 (56 % DV*)
- 464 milligrams sodium (43 % DV*)
- 20.7 micrograms selenium (38 % DV*)
- 226 milligrams phosphorus (32 % DV)
- 637 IUs vitamin A (27 % DV*)
- 0.44 milligrams manganese (25 % DV*)
*Day by day Worth: Percentages are primarily based on a weight loss program of two,000 energy a day.
As you may see, it’s a wonderfully balanced macronutrient meal, with nearly the identical quantity of carbs, protein and fats.
Right here’s a fast look at a number of the prime well being advantages related to the components on this rooster gumbo recipe:
- Natural rooster: Natural, free-range rooster is a wonderful supply of protein, which is a crucial element of your weight loss program. Research point out that consuming high-protein meals will provide help to preserve and shed pounds, enhance your focus and focus, stabilize your blood sugar ranges, enhance your power ranges and help the correct absorption of vitamins.
- Okra: Okra is a superb supply of antioxidants, fiber, vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin A and calcium. Okra diet can assist to enhance the well being of your coronary heart, cut back fatigue, help wholesome bones, assist to decrease your levels of cholesterol, enhance your eyesight and support your digestion.
- Avocado oil: I like cooking with avocado oil as a result of it’s filled with wholesome fat, together with important fatty acids and oleic acid. Avocado oil can be used raw in salads and dips or in cooked recipes as a result of it has a really excessive smoke level, making it a protected oil to make use of on this sluggish cooker recipe.
- Cassava flour: Cassava flour is a gluten-free flour that has a impartial style and may simply be used rather than white flour. For anybody with a meals allergy, cassava flour is a superb selection as a result of it’s additionally grain- and nut-free; plus, it’s decrease in energy, fats and sugar than wheat bread.
Easy methods to Make Gumbo
Step one to creating this rooster gumbo recipe is the roux. Mix avocado oil and cassava flour in a medium saucepan.
On medium warmth, whisk the flour and oil to create a darkish roux, which can take about quarter-hour. This can be used to thicken your gumbo and add a silky easy texture.
Subsequent, begin chopping your rooster gumbo components and including them to the sluggish cooker.
This consists of the mini peppers, okra and potatoes. Then chop the three rooster andouille sausages and the 2 boneless, skinless rooster breasts.
Now your whole components are able to be added to the sluggish cooker.
Add your roux first. Then add your chopped veggies, sausage and chopped rooster breast.
Subsequent add within the diced tomatoes, child carrots and your spices and herbs.
Lastly, add within the rooster bone broth.
Set your sluggish cooker on low for six to eight hours. (You can even make this in an enormous stockpot.)
When your rooster gumbo is prepared, serve it over riced cauliflower or brown rice to make this meal much more filling. Get pleasure from!
Different Nice Rooster Dishes from Totally different Cultures
Listed here are some fundamental dishes from different cultures that additionally characteristic rooster:
Customary New Orleans gumbo is made with a darkish roux, greens, rooster, sausage, and shrimp. Right here we eliminated the shrimp and go along with a rooster andouille sausage. The darkish roux and rooster bone broth are two powerhouse secret components that make this recipe sing.
- ½ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup cassava root flour
- 3 rooster andouille sausages, chopped
- 2 boneless, skinless rooster breasts, chopped
- 4 cups rooster bone broth
- 2 cups chopped okra
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 mini peppers, diced
- ½ cup child carrots
- 1½ cups potatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano, dried
- ½ teaspoon thyme, dried
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a medium saucepan on medium, mix flour and oil. Whisk usually to create a darkish roux. About quarter-hour.
- Mix all components in a sluggish cooker, beginning with the roux. Prepare dinner on low for six–8 hours.
- You can even use a Dutch oven to make this dish. Make the roux first and put aside. Then sauté the meat for a couple of minutes over medium warmth with some oil, earlier than including the roux, broth, veggies and spices. Stir nicely and convey to a excessive warmth earlier than overlaying. Prepare dinner at low warmth for quarter-hour, or till greens are cooked and rooster breast measures 160 levels.
- Serve over riced cauliflower or brown rice. (Optionally available.)
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Prepare dinner Time: 6 hours
- Class: Important Dishes
- Methodology: Gradual Cooker
- Delicacies: Cajun
- Serving Measurement: 1 serving (273g)
- Energy: 337
- Sugar: 4.6g
- Sodium: 646mg
- Fats: 20g
- Saturated Fats: 3.5g
- Unsaturated Fats: 14.7g
- Trans Fats: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.7g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Protein: 19.8g
- Ldl cholesterol: 81mg
Key phrases: rooster gumbo recipe, gumbo recipe