If eggnog makes the listing of why you like the vacation season, then you definately’ve come to the suitable recipe. Eggnog is wealthy, candy and creamy. Sometimes, these fascinating attributes come from issues like milk, cream, eggs and sugar within the majority of eggnog recipes.
For this eggnog recipe, we’re undoubtedly holding the eggs, however as an alternative of standard cow’s milk, we’re going to be utilizing coconut milk. As a substitute of sugar, maple syrup and actual vanilla bean will present some pure sweetness.
These adjustments end in an eggnog that’s simply as festive and scrumptious but completely freed from dairy and health-hazardous refined sugar. Food plan-wise, with simply 5 grams of carbs alongside 26 wholesome fat per serving, it qualifies as low-carb, Paleo and even keto.
Warning: This simply could also be the perfect dairy-free eggnog recipe you’ve ever tasted!
What Is Eggnog?
Eggnog is historically a wealthy and candy drink created with milk, cream, egg yolks and egg whites (whipped individually) and sugar. Thanksgiving via Christmas is the basic time to devour eggnog and whenever you’ll see it on retailer cabinets within the U.S. and Canada.
An alcoholic eggnog recipe (like a brandy eggnog recipe) can also be referred to as a spiked eggnog recipe. Along with brandy, different widespread alcohols added to eggnog embrace rum and bourbon. Traditionally, when alcohol was included in a recipe for eggnog, it was known as egg milk punch or milk punch.
Culinary historians aren’t completely positive about eggnog’s precise origins, however most guess that it began in early medieval Britain once they drank posset, a sizzling beverage consisting of milk curdled with wine or ale and spices. Across the thirteenth century, monks are stated to have begun consuming considerably of a sizzling eggnog recipe once they added eggs and figs to the posset combination.
So what concerning the title “eggnog”? Properly, it contains eggs as a singular and key ingredient, in order that explains the “egg,” however the “nog” is probably derived from “noggin,” which, within the 1600s, meant a small cup or mug. By the late 1700s, the title “eggnog” was right here to remain.
You’ll be able to drink this scrumptious eggnog by itself or make it for recipes utilizing eggnog resembling an eggnog pie recipe.
This selfmade eggnog recipe is excessive in protein and wholesome fat in addition to a number of important nutritional vitamins. Listed here are a number of the wholesome components you’ll be consuming on this superb dairy-free eggnog:
- Eggs: What would eggnog be with out eggs? In case you’re involved concerning the security of this eggnog recipe, the FDA recommends ensuring that the eggnog base reaches 160 levels Fahrenheit, stirring always. Eggs are extremely nutritious, offering important quantities of protein, selenium, vitamin A, vitamin D and a number of B nutritional vitamins in only a single egg.
- Maple syrup: As a substitute of utilizing processed white sugar, this eggnog recipe will get its sweetness from more healthy pure sweeteners like maple syrup.
- Coconut milk: Coconuts and their milk are excessive in fats, however not ldl cholesterol. Coconuts are a superb supply of medium-chain fatty acids (or MCFAs), which have been proven to have spectacular well being advantages. One research printed in The Journal of Vitamin demonstrates how these pure fatty acids could have constructive results on each fats loss and weight reduction for wholesome women and men.
- Spices: No eggnog recipe can be full with out spices. Cinnamon just isn’t solely scrumptious, it’s additionally been used medicinally for hundreds of years. It’s the identical story with nutmeg and cardamom, two beneficial spices that add nice taste.
It is a non-alcoholic eggnog recipe, so it doesn’t require having any alcohol available. To make this straightforward eggnog recipe, you’ll merely be combining all the components collectively, however it will likely be in a really particular manner to make sure that you get a wonderfully crafted eggnog.
Earlier than you get began, separate the eggs so the yolks are in a single bowl and the whites are in a container for the fridge (make egg white omelettes tomorrow!).
Add the coconut milks to a big pot over medium-low warmth. Then add the almond extract, cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Add the coconut milk to a big pot over medium-low warmth. Then add the almond extract, cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon.
Scrape the vanilla bean and put the contents into the pot.
Add the maple syrup and stir. Don’t let the pot come to a boil.
Add the maple syrup and stir. Don’t let the pot come to a boil.
In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the 4 egg yolks. Maintain whisking till small bubbles type.
Take a small quantity of the new milk combination and add it to the egg yolks. Mood the yolks, which suggests to aggressively whisk the egg yolks whereas including the new liquid.
As soon as the yolks attain the identical temperature, add them into the pot with the new milk combination. On medium, permit the combination to return to a slight boil, after which stir properly and take away it from the warmth.
Permit the eggnog to chill earlier than chilling it within the fridge. Then let the eggnog sit within the fridge for about half-hour to at least one hour earlier than serving.
High with some further nutmeg and revel in this wealthy, festive deal with.
Tis the season for an eggnog! However quite than the extreme dairy pageant that’s standard eggnog, make up this scrumptious batch of dairy-free eggnog with coconut milk, eggs, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- 4 cups canned, full-fat coconut milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- In a big pot on medium low, mix milks, almond extract, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla bean and maple syrup. Don’t let the pot come to a boil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk 4 egg yolks till small bubbles seem.
- Take a small quantity of the new milk combination and mood the yolks.
- As soon as the yolks attain the identical temperature, add the yolks into the pot with the new milk combination.
- On medium, permit combination to return to a slight boil after which stir properly and take away from warmth.
- Permit eggnog to chill earlier than chilling within the fridge.
- Let sit within the fridge for about half-hour to at least one hour.
- Pour out a serving in a glass and high with some further nutmeg.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Prepare dinner Time: 10 min
- Class: Drinks
- Technique: Stovetop
- Delicacies: American
- Serving Measurement: 6 oz (139g)
- Energy: 262
- Sugar: 1.6g
- Sodium: 46mg (3% DV)
- Fats: 26.3g
- Saturated Fats: 22.1g
- Unsaturated Fats: 2.6g
- Trans Fats: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 5.2g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Ldl cholesterol: 82mg
Key phrases: dairy-free eggnog recipe, non-dairy eggnog